Your bones are an integral part of your body. They support it and help you move, they make blood cells and protect your organs.
But as you grow older, your bones become thinner and perhaps even brittle. This makes you more prone to injury.
In order to keep your bones as healthy as possible, follow these tips:
1. Include lots of calcium in your diet. Aside from dairy like milk, yogurt, and cheese, other good sources of calcium are leafy greens, seeds, fish like sardines and canned salmon, almonds, beans and lentils, prunes, soy and tofu.
2. Make physical activity part of your daily routine. Exercise regularly. Weight-bearing exercises and strength training can be helpful in increasing bone density.
3. Get enough Vitamin D. Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium. If you don’t get enough from sun exposure and your diet, consider taking a supplement. Most adults need around 1000 IU a day.
It’s never too early to build up and strengthen your bones as early and as much as possible!
1. Sochett, Etienne. “Healthy bones – Activity and nutrition.” Paediatrics & child health vol. 7,5 (2002): 315-7. MLA
2. Karpouzos, Athanasios et al. “Nutritional Aspects of Bone Health and Fracture Healing.” Journal of osteoporosis vol. 2017 (2017): 4218472. doi:10.1155/2017/4218472
DISCLAIMER: This blog and any related comments are not medical advice. Check with your own healthcare professional before attempting anything in this blog. This information is only intended for educational purposes and should not be used to self-diagnose or self-treat any medical condition. Results are not guaranteed and vary from person to person.
Dr. Kim “Doc Kim” Khauv, your Metro Manila chiropractor, has helped many people live healthier and happier lives.
With over 20 years experience, Dr. Kim Khauv is an award winning American Chiropractor, trained at University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) in public health and prevention, National Board certified, corrective care chiropractor who has published and presented research nationally and internationally in chiropractic care, wellness, and prevention.
While he was in San Diego, CA, Dr. Kim Khauv was one of only 24 chiropractors in the world working for the United States Navy, providing chiropractic care to active duty military members at Navy Medical Center San Diego for over 5 years.
Dr. Kim Khauv now provides safe, effective, and evidence-based chiropractic care to patients from Makati, Rockwell, Manila, Paranaque, Alabang, Fort Bonifacio, Global City, Pasig, Ortigas, Mandaluyong, Greenhills, San Juan, and Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines. Conditions that have responded well to chiropractic care are headaches, migraines, neck pain, back pain, pregnancy related back pain, sciatica, and auto injuries. Visit www.well-balancedchiro.com for more information.